This list is inspired by Joel Runyon’s “Impossible List”, started in August 2016.
Since high school, I’ve been adding both mentally and physically challenging goals and experiences to lists that will help myself grow and feed my brain’s desire to have some quantitative measurement of “success”. This isn’t just a bucket list; the impossible list is different.
These goals are meant to seem "impossible" now but will grow and evolve as time goes on and goals are checked off. It’s a living, publicly-accessible list to keep me accountable. Want to know where I'm headed? Check it out below – and by all means, create one of your own!
- Get married, have kids
- Create an innovation-based school
- Create a documentary
- Give a TED Talk
- Buy an electric car
- Design my own 100% eco-friendly house
- Read 1000 books (17/1000)
- Get into college (12/15/2017)
- Graduate high school (05/19/2018) | college
- Write and publish a book
Career + Business
- Create or develop a company worth 1+ million | 10+ million
- Create 3 products | 5 products | 10 products
- Create an entirely eco-friendly clothing brand
- Money to make/give away? 1k (6/17) | 10k (1/19) | 100k | 1m | 10m
- Learn to proficiently code in:
- HTML/CSS (proficient)
- SCSS, GreenSocks, ScrollMagic (beginner)
- Python (intermediate, in-progress)
- WebGL (beginner)
- Create a helpful website
- 1,000 monthly visitors
- 10,000 monthly visitors
- 25,000 monthly visitors
- 50,000 monthly visitors
- Publish 100 blog articles (1/100)
- YouTube Channel
- 1,000 active subscribers
- 10,000 active subscribers
- 25,000 active subscribers
- 50,000 active subscribers
- 100,000 active subscribers
- Angel invest at least $100,000 in 5+ different startups
- Teach a university class
- Release my first song | 10 songs | 30 songs
- Release my first album | 2nd album
- Make a song dedicated to someone special
- Learn how to play songs w/ advanced drumming
- Benny Greb’s entire Moving Parts Album
- Learn how to proficiently play piano
- Learn how to proficiently play guitar
- Collaborate with different musicians on 5+ songs
Health + Fitness
- Hold a plank for 5 minutes (9/25/16) | 10 min. (10/16/16) | 15 min. | 30 min.
- Be able to hold a handstand
- Run a 5k | 10k | half marathon (5/5/2019) | marathon
- Bench 150lbs. (in-progress) | 200lbs. | 225lbs.
- Squat 200lbs. (in-progress) | 250lbs. | 300lbs.
- Deadlift 225lbs. (in-progress) | 300lbs. | 375lbs.
- 100 consecutive push-ups
- 25 consecutive pull-ups
- Run a mile sub-6 minutes
- Consistently perform a standing backflip
- Proficiently complete a muscle up | 5 consecutive muscle ups | 10 consecutive muscle ups
- Be able to hold a front lever | back lever for 1+ min.
- Be able to hold an L-sit for 1+ min.
- Be able to hold a human flag for 1+ min.
- Take an unplanned trip across the US
- Solo travel for 3 months (i.e. Europe)
- Go to 10 countries | 25 countries | 50 countries | 100 countries | All countries
- Buy a plane ticket and go somewhere without knowing (travel roulette)
- Go to base camp at Mt. Everest
- Visit all 50 US states
- See northern lights
- CST Challenge for 1 month (9/25/16) | 6 months
- 100 Days of Code Challenge (4/12/17)
- 100 Days of UI Challenge
- 100 Days of After Effects Challenge
- Disconnect from technology for six months
- Don’t use a car for 1 month
Events + Activities
- World Domination Summit
- Burning Man
- Olympic Games (watching, of course...)
- Spartan Race
- Provide/fund/create education for*
- 1,000 people (in-progress)
- 10,000 people
- 100,000 people
- 1,000,000 people
- 10,000,000 people
- 100,000,000 people
- Donate at least $100 to 1,000+ struggling business owners through Kiva
- Mentor 10+ young entrepreneurs and innovators
- Build 10+ innovation centers/playgrounds around the world
- Eat lunch with a stranger every week for at least one year
- Investments of time and money in space exploration (TBD)
- Give to sustainable living organizations (TBD)
*This is by far my greatest and more important goal. “Education” is vague because this could be in the form of building schools, donating books or scientific materials, teaching, tutoring, etc. Providing a quality education matters much more than the number. I will consequently have to estimate these milestones and determine more concrete definitions as I progress on this journey.
A large part of my focus on education involves ideating innovative solutions, playing to my strengths in product design and development and topics related to HCI.